About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

SOLD
35 years ago at my first studio job as an illustrator I sat before a piece I'd struggled with all afternoon. A senior illustrator walked up behind me at the end of the day and looked over my shoulder. I waited for him to tell me the piece was better than I thought it was, or some such, but instead he gave me a gentle smack on the back and said, "Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you." 
Here's the small part of today's watercolor that worked out. The bear got the rest.

Feb.8  2009 SF

3 comments:

Wally said...

As someone who can not make a drawing I have to tell you how delightful it is to see these things appear on my computer screen. Victoria and her mom love backyard birds so much, I am really looking forward to your next open house. Do you take de-valued stock certificates?

SF said...

Thanks for the kind remarks.
I'm not sure what to do at this point.. Have a "first Saturday of the month" deal where people can come by and look at stuff, or send emails advising that I have a pile of certain subjects?.. And who left me in charge of running my life? A sad mistake, that. SF

sue said...

Haahaaaa! I love that story. CLassic. And cute little Carolina Wren. Great idea to talk about making a perfect circle and things that stick out to shape him. I'm still laughing.