About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009


CS Gallery.
Back from a night at Coe with the drawing group. I'm always glad when I make the effort to go to this, for the social interaction if nothing else. A really great group of people there.
We had a model who was new to me and when I first saw her thought I was going to have a successful night painting.. but not so. Maybe I was trying too hard, or thinking about the wrong stuff. In any case it was a struggle.
This was the first 20 min. pose (you can see the quick gesture warm-ups at top). The shadows were actually darker than I painted them but I still should have throttled back and made them less dense.  Mar.3  2009  SF

No comments: