About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Saturday, March 7, 2009


NFS
Yesterday I had one of those great days where everything goes your way; A break here, a kind word there, an encouraging email, a fresh idea, etc. I was reflecting on this while I made dinner and simply made a drawing of what was in front of me while I was appreciating these good things that had happened. 

This is an important lesson for journal drawing - Don't try to come up with a profound image to communicate what has happened. Your journal is not supposed to convey ideas to others, but should be a collection of snapshots along the way of your life. Just draw what is in front of you when it occurs to you to observe or reflect. That IS how we remember our most important moments; banal scenes before us when we get significant news.   March 7  2009  SF

1 comment:

A Brush with Color said...

Great advice. I find myself very sad to learn that your illustrating life is moving in a new direction. I wonder how many magazines realize I picked up their magazines exclusively because I was smitten with your images in the pages!? I threw out the magazines eventually, but ripped out your paintings and put them in a file of favorite things.

Maybe you should (maybe you already are!) teach in workshops around the world.