About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009


SOLD.
This was the last pose of the evening. I only paint vertically, so a reclining pose is an interesting challenge. I decided to paint the face with some care and also had some fun inventing a colorful foreground pattern, and didn't worry about attempting the difficult and subtle description of the torso, leaving that in pencil only. In the preceding painting I did a similar thing, choosing to fully paint only part of the subject rather than hurriedly block in the entire figure. 
I like these 20 min. poses for this reason; if I had an hour to do each pose I'd be inclined to try to render the entire figure and would often as not overwork it. With only 20 minutes you have to make a fast decision and get right at it and I enjoy the risk and spontaneity.  Mar.3 2009 SF

1 comment:

A Brush with Color said...

Interesting! I almost noted in one of your sketches of a duck decoy that your work often reminds me Reid's.

I, like many others, am infatuated with his work, and yes--his books really are very instructive. I go back to them over and over. Nice to know he's been an influence on you as well. I'm sure he'd be delighted to know that.