About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Canoe on shore. 5x7 oil on panel.

Did this study some days ago from looking at a watercolor of the same scene. For personal reasons it's significant to me in that for the first time since I started painting again in oil I really felt in control of the medium and therefore could paint "the way I paint", as opposed to a perfunctory execution of a subject. 
I told myself when I (again) started painting in oils that I'd have to do 200 bad oil paintings to get where I wanted to be. This little study is about number 300. I guess I was optimistic, but whatever, here I am, and happy to be here..

July 14 2009  SF


No comments: