About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009


Sea shell and WC tube. 11x14 watercolor on bristol.

After a day of doing business stuff I sat down to paint and had a hard time "seeing". 
Decided to do a simple exercise to show my workshop people and picked a tiny broken shell and a used-up watercolor tube as subjects. At first glance not exciting items to look at, but holding each and looking carefully they revealed fun shapes to paint.

There's always something beautiful to see if you slow down and look for it.

July 15 2009  SF


4 comments:

Jeremy Elder said...

"There's always something beautiful to see if you slow down and look for it."

Amen brother.

Ginny Stiles said...

It's so good to see an accomplished professional just needs to paint a watercolor tube and enjoy it too. Talk to me about "bristol". I have done watercolor on "bristol board" which comes in various textures and weights. I bought some bristol "paper" in a large tablet thinking I'd like it as well and I hate it. fine for ink but the watercolor "soaks" in and I cannot move it at all once on the surface. What bristol do you use?

geraldo roberto da silva said...

Wonderful! Wonderful!

R_E said...

My daughter and I just read The Cuckoo's Haiku for the first time and were thoroughly impressed with the art. Just excellent!