About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009



Thumbnails.

The Orioles are watercolor on bristol, the others are oil on board. (Note coin on oils for scale.)

I find this very helpful before a painting session; I do a bunch of tiny little drawings or paintings(out of my head - Not looking at anything) to get my eye to be looking for simple compositions that work. Out of these thumbnails will come an appealing idea and I'll then look for reference material, live or photos, to paint from.

Sometimes these thumbnail sessions are simply drawing abstract shapes, and I'll look at the shapes and see if they remind me of anything; a landscape, or a still life subject, etc., and if a shape gives me an idea I proceed from there.

July 7  2009  SF

No comments: