About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Monday, October 19, 2009


Painted at the open house at Harvest Farm Preserve yesterday, honored to be one of the handful of artists invited to participate.
This little (6x6) study was funny; I had been chatting with some nice guy who stood behind me watching as I painted. I was about done with the study, but went to my pallet and picked up some paint, and then held the brush poised over the painting for 20 seconds as I considered doing a little more with the leaves. Uncertainly, I brought the brush closer to the painting, and the guy behind me gave a disapproving, "Mmmmm..." I withdrew the brush, laughing, and told the guy, "You're right. It's done."
Here it is, saved from over-working by a stranger.

Oct.19 2009 SF

4 comments:

mariannepost said...

Somewhat like owning a boat the best days are the day you purchase it and the day you sell it. Similarly the revelry comes in starting a painting and calling it finished. Just by luck I stumbled upon your blog. Happy to join the journey.

Anonymous said...

Hello,sinceI dont live in your area and cant take classes as much as I want to. Is there any info on watercolor journaling for a beginner learning on her own that you can give. And your trees the foliage is wonderful how do you do these? Your work is wonderful.Thank-you so,
Linda

Lisa Faulkner Wright said...

This painting is a gem and your anecdote is it's highlight.

sandihester said...

Stan, I stumbled onto your site today and LOVE it! I've looked at everything on it and will be back for more! I'm a WC artist too and really like your style (we have similar painting styles).