About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Sunday, February 28, 2010


Carolina Wren study. 7x10 watercolor. (NFS)

On the table to my right is an interesting small branch I cut from a bush outside. The branch is screwed to a board and can be turned to any angle. I look at this for ideas about form and composition when I paint trees.
Also on that branch is a small bird made of modeling clay. I sculpt the bird into the approximate body shape of the bird I am painting and can then pose and light it.

Feb.28 2010 SF

4 comments:

RHCarpenter said...

Your work is just stunning - so gorgeously painted. I like hearing how you plan and compose your work, too. These Carolina Wrens are such joyful little guys - ours are full and round as berries, puffed up in the cold.

Jim said...

great work! i like it.

Countrygal said...

hi Stan! just got to know you thru Country Living magazine...you are an amazing illustrator!! this wren is soo wonderful...I just love watercolours and you'll be my inspiration.....glad to have found you!

Fulvia

A Brush with Color said...

What a great idea! I love sketching the birds, and yet I've never taken a model and "modified" it to suit. This is gorgeous--I love your calligraphic script with this, too.

I also ripped out a few of your pieces in Country Living in the past--I was attracted to your work immediately.