About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010


Harper's Magazine sent me a fascinating article about concealed weapons to illustrate. (It's a great piece, dispelling with data any assumptions you might have had about the issue.)
Here's my study for the opener ( of 4 illustrations), a beauty shot of a .38 but lit in such a way that it is veiled. Concealed. I'll find out tomorrow what Harper's thinks.
I should add that the art director at Harper's is one of those very rare art directors who will trash a concept, give a suggestion, and the end result is a great improvement. So I'm open..

June 16 2010 SF

5 comments:

Countrygal said...

I love this! enjoying your sketches very much, there's so much to learn from you.

Fulvia

Anonymous said...

Do you have any classes come up?
peasncarrots@me.com

Kim White

Carlos Caminha said...

Wonderful watercolors. Congratulations, really a class.

KBO said...

I would love to have a print of your sketch from the Feb 2010 issue of Southern Living...the Smitten With Mississippi article. Is that possible?

A Brush with Color said...

I have seen your work for ages and recently was given a copy of "The Cuckoo's Haiku" and I finally decided to google you to see if you had a web page--glad I did--great blog. I recognized your style in several places, and I'm always attracted to it.