About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Monday, August 30, 2010






Interesting evening - Stumbled upon a sketchbook from 2007, the year before the flood and just before the bottom dropped out of my former career as an illustrator. The drawings in this sketchbook are very alive and free and are generally drawings of people in engaging poses.. very different from the more withdrawn landscapes and such in the following years.

On one of these pages I diagramed my thought process for figure work, which is to begin with a general shape and then work my way towards a gesture that works with that shape. This is the way I always see things but I'd never before done a diagram to explain it.

I really wish I could just do figure work for a living, but presently those don't sell as well as other subjects. Maybe someday the figure stuff will catch on.. Who knows..

Aug. 30 2010 SF

1 comment:

sue said...

These are all wonderful studies. Great compositions and movement. It saddens me to think your work wouldn't be in huge demand.