About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Thursday, September 23, 2010


I never would have believed I would one day wake up enthused about painting horses, but as I'm beginning to get a grasp of their form, and with gentle and helpful critiques from Barrie and Daisy, they have become a very fun challenge.
My plan is to continue drawing and painting them from photos until I can confidently draw a pretty good horse without looking at anything. (The lower left pencil drawing was a stab at doing one out of my head.) I figure I'll be where I want to be about 100 horses from now.

Sep.23 2010 SF

3 comments:

Margaret Bednar said...

I'm with you on enjoying these magnificent animals. It will take me a bit longer to perfect, I'm sure. I look forward to following your progress.

Joyce said...

I, too, love the look of horses--all kinds. I have been looking at them for a long time and I've started a small archive.

Andrea said...

I saw your water color illustrations in the March issue of the Martha
Stewart Magazine, entitled "Calling ALL Warblers" do you have any books
in print with your beautiful illustrations?