About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Monday, February 14, 2011




My friend Jerry sent me this photo of his fly rod and cigar, which I thought was a nice concept for a painting.
I made some changes as I drew the pencil thumbnail, pulling the distant rocks lower and extending the dark trees higher. Then decided to cast the foreground in shadow with only a hint of rim light on the reel. I want the painting to first be about shapes and composition, second about the stream, third about the story of the cigar break.

The color study above is a little smaller than a playing card.

Feb.14 2011 SF

2 comments:

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

Very cool and wow to work so small!

kslgoblue said...

I LOVE, love, love the winter scenes....something about the little white dots of snow!