About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Friday, March 4, 2011


This was done (today) mostly from memory, but I'd looked at the scene (yesterday) with great concentration for 20 minutes, so it was sunk in pretty good.
It's what I saw out my kitchen window; snow holding only in northern shadows, and a Robin looking for bugs.
This is 11x14 on smooth bristol.

Did this painting in 40 minutes. Seems the paintings I'm most happy with happen in a very short time.

March 4 2011 SF

3 comments:

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

It's wonderful!!! Lovely work!

Jenny said...

Stan, I am trying to email you, but getting an email saying that the email is failing to reach you. Here is the content of the email:


Hi Stan,
I am getting closer to having actual dates and actual plans for my trip to Iowa City. We haven't bought tickets yet, but I am thinking we will either go from Wednesday, May 4th - Monday, May 9th or Thursday, May 5th - Monday, May 9th. We also will likely be staying in town, likely at the Smiths' B&B, and likely won't have a rental car, although if it is on Thursday or Friday morning, there is a fair chance I can get my sister-in-law to give me a ride to meet up with you, if you can't meet in town (I was just talking with a prospective B&B tonight and I gather from their information that actual people who aren't students live a short drive from downtown...not having ever been to Iowa, this is all news to me).
According to my sister-in-law, the best times to schedule the individual session would either be on Thursday or on Friday morning. Friday evening we will be going to one of her readings (she is graduating from the Writers' Workshop and instead of graduation, we are going to a bunch of readings), Saturday will likely be a day trip to somewhere in the area (possibly the Field of Dreams baseball field), Sunday will have another reading, mid-day. Monday we plan on leaving early, if possible.
So I'd like it if you can check your schedule and let me know if the individual session would still be possible. I don't know if you have a full-time job that limits your time, and from your blog I gather you have a family, so I certainly understand if you can't accommodate my tight schedule. If you can still do the session, I have been thinking about different ideas that I see from your work that I'd love to know more about:

- How to be mindful of and preserve negative space but still convey the sense of the object (ie the painting in this post, this post, this post, or this post)
- How to see a scene ahead of you and then be able to construct it differently (ie this post)
- How to go out and paint from life (how do you prepare, what do you take, etc.)
- How to approach backgrounds -- making them interesting, but not dominant...I think this kind of fits in with the first bullet point

Anyway -- those are my thoughts. Let me know your availability, and I hope we can work something out!

Jenny Greene
jenny.s.greene@gmail.com

Jenny said...

(I guess my links to the various posts didn't come out -- once you get your email figured out, I will re-send so you can see what I am talking about.)