About Me

My photo
Stan Fellows has been an illustrator for thirty five years, painting for magazines, corporate clients, and children's books. Clients from the past two years include: Martha Stewart Living, Harper's Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, The New York Times, Smithsonian Magazine, Audubon, National Geographic, Field & Stream, The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYU, Notre Dame, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, (what’s with all the airlines?...) Kiplinger's, Arts & Antiques, Simon & Schuster, and for six years he has worked monthly for the Wall Street Journal's Friday wine column. In his native Minneapolis he taught watercolor painting and illustration at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, and has also taught watercolor workshops in Iowa City, where he lives with his daughter.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011


Journal drawing of City High, Iowa City. Lotsa mistakes! Lotsa fun!

Here's an example of taking on a subject that has an overwhelming amount of detail and not being rattled by that.
I began by drawing the contour of the roof lines and general shape of the big pieces of the buildings, unconcerned about accuracy and simply enjoying the ride as my eye wandered along.
Some kids were throwing a Frisbee and I indicated them, then started darkening in some deep shadows here and there but without making any attempt to render the whole building.
Basically I was just daydreaming and drawing whatever little bits happened to catch my interest.

It's not a great drawing of the building but I had a very enjoyable session.

April 13 2011 SF

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. You can certainly tell when an artist is relaxed and having fun. Katharine

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

I think it's wonderful! It's good to know where you started from too. I get overwhelmed sometimes when looking at a complex subject.

Countrygal said...

I so enjoy your sketches...the lure painting is so wonderful makes you want to go fishing straightaway..lol...

fulvia